Saturday 27 October 2007

New Shoes!!




Woohoo! I'm back in Phnom Penh and have just enough time to visit a few bars, do some last minute panic buying in preparation for moving into my new home on Tuesday and forget all the language I have learnt over the last 2 months!! You wouldn't believe how many shopping lists I have written and re-written - well, maybe you would!

Today, I had a very productive shopping day and discovered that Retail Therapy works whatever the currency! I bought some lovely pretty things to decorate my new home with, I ordered some clothes to be made at the Russian Market (3 pairs of trousers and 3 tops for less than $30/15 quid!) and picked up 2 pairs of NEW SHOES!! I LOVE spending money!! And a girl can never have too many shoes, even if she is volunteering in a developing country. I am supporting local business after all.

When we were last in Phnom Penh, we discovered this shop called 'Beautiful Shoes' which hand-makes, yes you guessed it, beautiful shoes!! You choose the style, the heel, the toe, the strap, the colour leather, they draw round your foot on some squared paper and hey presto, hand made-to-order shoes are ready within a week! Fantastic!! Even my huge feet can be catered for and in what ever style I wish! It was very tempting to order some more when I picked up my NEW SHOES but I will try to resist for at least a month or so! Wow - this volunteer malarkey is so tough!

And tomorrow, I am practicing my paddling technique with about 30 other volunteers as we enter the VSO boat into Phnom Penh's infamous water festival in a fortnight! I am so excited!!

No comments: