Saturday 6 October 2007

My new family


Over the four days in Phnom Srok, I got to know the landlords family very well. He is a teacher at a local high school but also runs the shop with his wife (soon to have their first baby). His wife is one of 8 children of the lady who actually owns the guesthouse. About 4 or 5 of her other children and their small families live behind the guesthouse but often seem to congregate near the shop during the day.

It was obviously hard to communicate with them other than through smiling and nodding and using the few Khmer words I feel confident with but they all seemed very very friendly! One of the sisters have even offered to be my cleaner and cook so for $35 a month, she will clean my house and do washing 3 times a week and also take me to the market on Saturday and give me a cookery lesson so I can learn how to prepare and cook food the Khmer way!!

No comments: