Saturday 6 October 2007

Home, Sweet Home???

This is a photo of the large landing area. It is very big and spacious and with some furniture and a little imagination will become my sitting room. All the rooms come off this main area. The door you can see in the picture is the bathroom door and to the right are more stairs leading up to the roof and the stairs which lead back down to the first floor.

Each of the four bedrooms looks roughly like this. Big windows and room for 2 good sized beds. One of these rooms will be turned into a kitchen and dining area for me, one will be my bedroom, one will be an office/study/ironing room and the last will be a spare room for visitors.

The bathroom is rather horrid at the moment but the landlord has promised to put in a Western toilet (phew!) and put a cover over the water tank – oh joy! There might be a chance of the landlord installing a running water system into the house so until then I will dream of a flushing toilet and shower!

A small balcony comes off the living area too and overlooks the front of the guesthouse and the street but what I’m most excited about is the roof... The stairs leading up from the living area, lead up onto the roof which is huge, completely private and has amazing views. The landlord said I could do whatever I liked up with the space like use it for exercising (yeah right!) so I might find some friends who can build me a little lean too, set up a hammock, buy some plants and have me a jolly old roof terrace garden! Woohoo!

Apart from the prospective roof garden, the whole idea of living in this guesthouse filled me with dread as it looks very bare and not very cosy at all. However, in true Cambodian style (and with 3 months rent in his pocket!), the landlord was ready to bend over backwards for me and agreed to lots of suggested changes so that when I rock up at the end of the month the place will be unrecognisable!

No comments: