Saturday 29 December 2007

Up On The Roof

Wednesday 19th December 2007

With roughly only 4 hours of electricity a day to power the fans (which is usually between 6 and 10pm) I have found that my part of the guesthouse on the top floor gets rather hot! I have a huge car battery to power an extra fan through the night but last night I found that it had run out of power. In an attempt to get a decent night's sleep and not wake up drowning in my own sweat, I decided to explore cooler places to sleep. Last night I chose the roof! With Ree's help I set up a mattress and pillow on the roof and she loaned me a huge mosquito net umbrella thing to save me being eaten alive. It reminded me of a similar net that mum might put over her trifle to stop flies getting to it while we ate dinner - except that this one had a rather attractive flowery pattern and was bright blue. It did the same job though.

The sky was so dark and so full of stars that I spent a long time watching it and saying "'wow' to myself over and over again. It was beautiful! I was woken up by the dogs barking and howling at about 4am - which isn't unusual - a bit like a Mexican wave effect. I went back to star gazing until it died down and then just as the sun started rising the cockerels began, competing to out do each other's volume. They in turn woke the dogs up again so I watched the sun rise from my roof (with more wows) and got myself ready for work.

I was definitely a cooler place to sleep but I can't say I had a better night's sleep - I could've watched the stars all night!

No comments: