Sunday 30 December 2007

Christmas Day - Barbeque and Sunset

Tuesday 25th December 2007

Altogether a very unusual Christmas day. I was a little disappointed to find not one present under the Christmas Palm Tree in the morning, no stocking bulging with gifts, nothing! I suppose one can't expect as much from Santa on an elephant. It must be a lot slower than reindeer after all. So, instead of gorging myself on Christmas food, I swam in the ocean, sunned myself on the sand and had a very relaxing day. We watched an amazing sunset and then ate our gorgeous Christmas BBQ dinner with a VSO colleague and friends based in Thailand who were also staying in the same beach huts.

On Boxing Day, during the journey back to Cambodia, my family got round to calling which was absolutely fantastic! The phone was passed round the whole lot of them celebrating in Walderslade and it was so good to hear their voices - thanks mum! Then back in Phnom Srok with Corine I opened all the Christmas parcels and cards that had arrived! Santa hadn't forgotten me after all! It was great to have reminders of home, some treats and some necessities and eat some very sticky (almost liquid but not quite) chocolate - which had to be eaten straight away due to lack of refrigeration facilities - well, that's my excuse!

No comments: