Monday 27 August 2007

Feeling Full

As well as becoming a fully fledged motorcyclist last week, I had a week of 'last suppers' to say farewell to friends I won't be seeing until 2009 (unless they save up to visit me at some point - no pressure!) I used the opportunity to enjoy a variety of dishes I am unlikely to get the chance to eat in Cambodia: Japanese with Wayne and Robert, Indian with Lina, good old Fish 'n' Chips with Catherine, pizza with the girls on Friday night followed by a McDonald's on Saturday and a coffee and pudding with Kasia! My justification for eating so much over a short period of time is that in a matter of weeks I will be surviving on rice for breakfast, dinner and tea.




On Friday night I had my final girlie evening in the UK with Sarah, Carolyn and Mads and we decided to visit The Gallery in Chiswick. It was a slightly dodgy - but smokeless - little club. Madeline met an old work colleague there, Sarah found grounds for an insurance claim and as always Carolyn made many new friends in the smoking area outside!

On Sunday I was baptised at Putney Community Church - something which has been on my 'to-do' list for a while now - and was dunked in the baptism pool, a little similar to a sheep-dip but with colder water! Some church friends did the 'dunking' - anyone else may've been tempted to hold me under for longer!

And then were the farewell drinks. What a busy day! Thankfully the sun decided to shine this weekend so we all got to enjoy sitting outside in the pub garden - I always wondered what those tables outside were for. Goodbyes are always a little awkward as you try to predict how each will have changed or grown by the time you next meet - or how many children will have been born! It isn't really goodbye though - as Jo said - just a pause in face-to-face interaction!


No comments: