Friday 8 February 2008

Slow Progress

Monday 4th February 2008

So, Monday found me back at work in the new office! Filled with bright ideas, fresh thinking and things to do after the two week 'break' in Kampong Cham, I came to work full of purpose and energy, but oh how quickly my attitude changed! I was told that a lot of people would be celebrating Chinese New Year this week but assured that the office would still be open as usual - well, by Wednesday afternoon the office was suddenly closed (I really must get myself a key!) and then to top it all off, my VA handed in his resignation so as of the end of month I will have no translator! Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Fair enough, he has been offered another full time job nearer to where he lives and it's back to the drawing board for me (back to interviewing!) What a disaster!!

I excitedly shared my ideas for setting up a 'model' classroom and organising a study tour and applying for a grant for resources for schools and even though they are all fairly simple, small ideas, it does feel that some progress is being made, but it is painfully slow!! And when unexpected things happen like Chinese New Year and resignations start flying around, progress becomes even slower.

I have also learnt that most of my Khmer colleagues who work in the District Office of Education will be collecting data for the national census for two weeks in March. These two weeks will obviously be preceded by two more weeks in February for training those collecting the data. Every small step forward seems to result in at least 2 steps backwards.

No comments: