Tuesday 18 August 2009

A Future Not Our Own

It helps, now and then, to step back
and take the long view.
The kingdom is not only beyond our efforts,
it is beyond our vision.

We accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction of
the magnificent enterprise that is God's work.
Nothing we do is complete,
which is another way of saying
that the kingdom always lies beyond us.

No statement says all that could be said.
No prayer fully expresses our faith.
No confession brings perfection...
No set of goals and objectives includes everything.

This is what we are about:
We plant seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted,
knowing that they hold future promise.
We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide yeast that produces effects beyond our capabilities.

We cannot do everything
and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that.
This enables us to do something,
and to do it very well.
It may be incomlete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way,
an opportunity for God's grace to enter and do the rest.

We may never see the end results...
We are prophets of a future not our own.


Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador

4 comments:

SOROTH said...

Hey Anna great, I think we are human-being and living on this planet and everybody has sin, therefore we lack of God's glory. I sometimes leave promise behind, can you think of my blog, and you?. But i leave perfection to God, and I am just trying to do the best as i can, so, by the grace of God we will be pure.

Cory said...

Gorgeous poetry... Romero the film, with Raul Julia, was tremendous. We watched it in my Religious Studies "Cinema and the Sacred" class. Riveting... Blessings Anna!

Thor kounthy said...

Dear Miss Anna,

My name's Thor Kounthy. I am a first daughter of Mr. Thor Kimlonn, Vice-Director of Phnom Srok district office of education, youth and sports. I think that you remember him.
I'm very happy to see your blogspot because it makes me miss my hometown and my family so much especially my dad.
Thanks for your writing about my hometown.

Best Regards,

Thor Kounthy

Anna said...

Hello Thor Kounthy,

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I really miss Phnom Srok and especially all my colleagues at the DOE in Phnom Srok. It was great to meet and work with your father and I hope he is well. Where do you live now? Please feel free to email me on annamaton@hotmail.com

Best wishes
Anna Maton