Saturday 22 November 2008

Off She Went With a Trumpety Trump






Trump Trump Trump!

I left mum on Koh Chang, island of elephants, on Friday and she headed on to Singapore as I returned to Phnom Penh. But not before we had enjoyed what Koh Chang had to offer and we finished the holiday off in style with elephant riding, snorkelling and swimming in waterfalls.

I don’t think I have ever spent 2 whole weeks alone with my mother, having grown up with 3 other siblings, and certainly not shared a bedroom with her for quite some time! Our roles were also reversed for most of the holiday. She still woke up before me but I found myself nagging her to hurry up when getting ready to go out, something she must remember doing during my teenage years. I was also constantly thinking about whether she was comfortable or not, had everything she needed, knew where the nearest toilet was and was having a good time, all of which made me feel more like a parent than a child! She held the purse strings though and I was definitely the child when the opportunity to shop presented itself: “Mum, can I have one of those?”

The two weeks were a real treat for us both, it great to have my mum all to myself and the holiday was rounded off nicely in Koh Chang which was more of a holiday for me than tour guiding round Phnom Srok and Phnom Penh. Mum felt that she was getting 3 holidays in 1: a city break; a country retreat and a beach holiday and was also looking forward to a few days in Singapore on the way home.

We exhausted ourselves with sharing new experiences together. Riding an elephant was one. The elephants ambled through jungle, countryside and a rubber plantation, until they reached a fresh water pool where e all donned our swim suits and joined our elephants for a swim! Mum was even persuaded to climb onto an elephant in the water which was hilarious! She was left on the (very tame) elephant for quite some time with no one directing the animal while I snapped photographs and dodged the occasional fresh elephant turd floating past me. We were amazed at how well trained the animals were, their size and also the fact that despite their size they moved so gently and silently.

From creatures great, to creatures small, the following day was spent snorkelling in the sea surrounding some of the neighbouring Thai islands. It was a beautiful day and we saw countless numbers of different species of fish and coral under the waves. The water was crystal clear and it was just like peering down into another universe, there was so much going on! At times we were swimming face to face with fish all around us, close enough to touch, if quick enough! And other times we just floated still on the surface of the water watching the hive of activity below and around us. I was relieved we didn’t see anything the same size as the elephants below the waves. It was amazing to observe so much sea-traffic! Despite my camera claiming to be waterproof I decided not to put it to the test on this occasion so only the memories remain of the incredible sea life we saw. Again, mum had a blast, her snorkelling lesson paid off and I think it was even worth the painfully sunburnt backs of legs she endured for the 2 days afterwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi anna!
Things sound good - have enjoyed the blog updates and the tales with your mum. I had my mum visiting at the same time so could empathise alot with some of your comments... I've had 2 months in Australia and NZ but am now back in PP. Hopefully you will be around again soon! Otherwise I might pop up north sometime.
Michelle