Saturday 6 September 2008

1 down, 1 to go...

It's been a year since I arrived in Cambodia and time has seriously flown.

These are some of the things I love about this country so far:
  • Phnom Srok district (especially in the wet season)
  • 3 hour lunch breaks
  • being vaguely aware of sunrise while lying in bed and listening to cocks crowing and dogs barking
  • water buffalo
  • watching sunset from my roof (albeit from behind a mobile phone pylon!)
  • wearing flip flops everyday
  • being able to escape any situation with a smile
  • driving a moto
  • palm trees
  • the stars
  • the sunshine
  • absolute torrential downpours and then the cool air afterwards
  • iced coffee with condensed milk
  • respect and politeness
  • the Cambodian smile - in any situation
  • the feeling of living on a campsite
  • the feeling of living on a farm
  • the sound of rain
  • beautiful flat countryside
  • bright green rice fields
  • the fact that family and health is always priority number one

There's not a lot I badly miss about the UK other than people but on off days these are some of things I yearn for:
  • feeling cosy and warm
  • being able to read things; signs, newspapers, packaging
  • knee high boots and thick socks
  • cardigans and jumpers
  • hugging a mug of tea on the sofa
  • having a fridge
  • Sainsbury's
  • sharing a bottle of wine with a friend
  • crossing the Thames at Putney bridge each morning on the way to work
  • talking English at a normal speed
  • walking
  • not having to explain my jokes! (well, not so often!)
And I've learnt a few things too, including:
  • always have a speech prepared if attending a meeting
  • never burp whilst wearing a helmet with the visor down, especially after eating a Khmer breakfast
  • I need my sleep
  • I was not really built for the tropical climate
  • I seem to perform best under a certain amount of pressure
  • I can hold a conversation in Khmer and just about be understood
  • patience (well, I'm getting better)
  • education really is a luxury and comes after health and livelihoods
  • children are the same the world over, only some are more fortunate than others
  • if in doubt, smile
  • 'yes' doesn't always mean 'yes'. It can also mean 'no', 'definitely not', 'I'm not sure', 'I don't have a clue what you're talking about', amongst a whole list of other things
  • road rules are a good thing
  • beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and the media)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha - the burping lesson sounds so like you - I miss you Anna!!!