Sunday 6 July 2008

A Week Without

“A Week Without What?” I hear you cry. A week without a translator. With Soroth gone – now working for ICS in Oddar Meanchey – and the disastrous and fruitless interviews behind me, I was absolutely determined not to let the obvious language difficulties deter me from the work I had planned. After all there are many VSO volunteers across the globe working without a translator. In fact, VSO Cambodia are currently reviewing the system in place here for the education volunteers who have intense language training AND a full time Volunteer Assistant.

The plan for the week had been to work quite intensely at one targeted school with the idea, eventually, to use it as a model Child-Friendly school for the rest of the district. I worked there for 3 days with the help of Daney, a young colleague from the DOE. With her 8 words of English and my 9 ½ words of Khmer, I think we managed alright. Daney has worked with Soroth and me a lot so her understanding of Child Friendly Schools has increased amazingly. She also used to be a teacher herself so feels comfortable in the school setting; talking to students and teachers which is surprisingly unlike some members of the DOE.

Luckily, the work was more about ‘showing’ rather than ‘telling’ so the lacking language wasn’t a huge deal. By the end of the 3 days we had managed to persuade all the teachers to rearrange their desks into groups and organise their posters into subject areas lower down on the walls so that the children can actually see them and use them.

We also managed to involve the students by meeting them at the flagpole one morning, identifying members of the student council and getting everyone to help litter pick. We had a lot of fun doing this and the children seemed to love the fact that a crazy barang women was walking round with a plastic bag chanting “Put the rubbish in the bin!” in Khmer! However, the success was short lived. Despite Daney’s fine explanation and questioning about the school grounds and why we should keep it clean and litter free, by lunch time it was dismally covered in litter again; plastic bags, straws and wrappings. But, it’s a problem nation wide. The knee-jerk reaction of Khmers is to drop it on the floor when it’s finished with, whatever ‘it’ is, which is why there is so much rubbish in this country – everywhere. Like trees drop their leaves where they’re not needed anymore, so the Khmers (I am generalising somewhat) drop everything and anything where they stand, or out the window. I guess in years before food from the market would be bought wrapped in banana leaves, or similar, which would naturally decompose and not make the environment quite so ugly. I was kidding myself to think that one morning picking litter was going to change that. It’ll take much more than that but it’s a start at least!

If nothing else, being without a translator has helped improve my Khmer language. Suddenly I must understand what’s being said to me or how to explain an idea without turning to someone for an English translation. It’s been fun in a way too as we have to mime what we’re trying to say to each other when vocabulary is insufficient. It has also helped build the capacity of Daney. As a young female working in an office of older men she can often be mistaken for the general dogs body, fetching, carrying and cleaning, but she has an amazing amount of knowledge and a real gift for presenting to a large crowd be it students, teachers or directors. I’m hoping my other colleagues will catch on to her talents. I’m not saying I can do without permanently though and as I wonder how on earth to find and recruit another new VA willing to work in Phnom Srok I am well aware that another few weeks without might prove to be a few weeks too many!

No comments: